Comfort in a Bowl
Take the chill out of a brisk autumn day with a piping-hot serving of butternut squash soup. Gourds are not only in season, they’re high in nutrients, too
David’s Squash Soup
- 4 ½ cups cooked and puréed butternut squash
- 1 ½ cans (13 ¾ ounces) chicken broth
- 1 ½ tablespoons salt
- ½ tablespoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ bottle Tio Pepe Gonzalez Byass Jerez dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup heavy cream
In a large soup pot, combine the squash purée, chicken broth, salt, pepper, cayenne, and curry powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered approximately 1 hour to reduce soup by one-third.
Add sherry and simmer another 30 minutes. Remove from heat and swirl in butter, sour cream, and heavy cream. Serve immediately.
Source: At Home With Carolyn Roehm (Broadway Books)